Sunday, September 27, 2009

Artist Research no.5: Brian Gaberman

I've been rewinding my life, and trying to find that time when I truly loved photography for itself. I remember sitting in photo class as a junior in highschool, and this devastatingly handsome skateboarder showed me images by Brian Gaberman. This one to be exact.
Anyway, Brian Gaberman is a photographer for Skateboarder, and here's the sweet part, makes images of quickly moving people flying through the air on small pieces of wood with wheels... with a 4 x 5. He also uses a lot of pinholes and a lot of darkroom manipulation. He made me love film. Him and Jerry Uelsmann, but he's another blog. Gaberman captures gritty dirty building exteriors, deep, rich black shadows, and moody skies. His images utilize a lot of blurred motion and have a dreamy aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment