Sunday, September 20, 2009

Artist Research no.4: Miranda July



Did you enjoy the hallway? I did. It was like a mini meditation session. I re-watched "Me and You and Everyone We Know" the other day. I love that movie, it makes you FEEL so many different things. It even gets boring in parts, but it feels INTENTIONALLY boring, I love it. I've always identified with the next door neighbor girl, Sylvie. She collects timeless, classic home appliances and toiletries to save in a hope chest for her husband and her daughter. She lays down Peter and tells him the layout of her home, the breakfast nook, the island with the stove in it, and the conversations she will have with her unborn, unconceived, child. I had completely forgotten about this girl when I put this movie on my Netflix queue.  I just remembered the poop, and the sidewalk of life. The sound track is also amazing. I'm listening to it now. It is hopeful, nostalgic, and desperate all in one. The most amazing thing about Miranda July to me is that she makes art just for me. Her pieces address me, the speak just to me... and to you, but not to both of us at the same time. They are just for the viewer, a single solitary soul, and then the next person, and the next, but each gets their own individual art piece. This video made me remember something I had not remembered in the longest time. My mother and I used to spend Saturdays walking through model homes. They were always furnished, decorated, and stocked, or so it would seem. The grapes were fake, but usually right next to them was a plate of crackers left by a realtor, and when you went to use a toilet you would lift the seat cover and the bowl was blocked off, there was probably a sign left on it that said the toilet in the selling office is functional. We loved to go to the Dream House, each year this multi million dollar home would be raffled off to someone who could not possibly pay the taxes on it, one year it was the most fabulous thing I'd ever seen, I remember each room ever so clearly, or maybe it is just a blend of every model home we walked through...Can't you imagine yourself living here? This little girl's room is designed to look as if it is underwater! Murals on the wall of fish, the carpet the color of sand, the blinds blue and floating/ swaying like water, that bed was a seashell, and there were mermaid pillows. The ceiling was the best, it was painted to look like you were underwater looking up, sun rays rippled through, and the bottom of a boat just started to skim into your aquarium. The basement was a movie theatre, red and yellow, there was a ticket booth, a bar made to look like a concession stand, thick velvet curtains pushed back to enter into the theatre, 3 rows of REAL movie seats with an aisle lined with little tiny string lights, and a projector that illuminated the front wall with some 90's blockbuster hit. This part I don't remember, because I was so fascinated with a home that was just so PERFECT. Nobody could ever live like this, there was no food in the sink, there were no dirty clothes in the laundry, the laundry actually was filled tile samples and paint chips, so you could customize YOUR home. I'm just starting to understand the implications of memories like this, especially now that the housing bubble has popped, and it's hot air that was released is smothering my generation of disillusioned youths, who grew up in perfect little homes, filled with lovely things, driven around in cars not paid off, and  never noticed the ever encroaching disaster that is now your society.
oh yeah, where was I...Miranda July...
She is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment