Friday, October 23, 2009

Research no.8: Resin and Encaustic

I don't know if the cold wax I am currently using will allow me enough layering to create the depth I am looking for. I am researching methods of utilizing clear casting resin instead. Resin is the product of coniferous trees,and is the hydrocarbon secretion of many other plants. However it is highly toxic as you must mix it with hardeners and turpentine. Health cautions must me observed, users should wear ventilator masks and gloves. Resin shrinks some while hardening, which it does by heating up due to chemical interactions, and hardens from the inside out. It needs to be poured over a porous surface, so I am interested in how it will react to fiber prints. It causes bubbles that are undesirable during mixing, so one should be conscientious of this while combining the hardener. The bubbles can be heated out by passing a orange flame over them, sucking the oxygen up to the surface. They can also be vibrated out.

Encaustic on the other hand utilized hard beeswax and a hot surface, many literally melt the wax with an iron and apply it that way. I have also seen people use a pancake grittle as a palette, like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment